Cell Line Authentication Services from just £95 per sample
NorthGene offer rapid and accurate DNA STR analysis services for cell line authentication in line with American National Standards Institute ASN-0002-2011. Using highly sensitive DNA testing for Short Tandem Repeats (STRs), our PCR and sequencing analysis allows for high level discrimination between cell sets, samples and cultures.
Samples are charged at £95 per sample and discounts are applicable to large batches. Please call us on 0870 803 0999 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your requirements, or to place an order please download the form by clicking the icon below.
Why authenticate your cell lines?
Misidentification or poor characterisation of cell lines has plagued the scientific community for decades. The lack of knowledge of cell types leads to incorrect, non-reproducible results which can result in false information being generated. An increasing number of high profile journals and grant proposals now require proof of cell line identity before considering publication of research.
According to current research and best practice guidelines, cell line testing is recommended:
- Before submitting a paper for review
- Before beginning a new grant or major set of experiments
- To prevent cross-contamination
- If cells give erratic, and unreproducible results
- If a change in morphology or growth characteristics are observed
- When creating a new cell line
- When receiving cells from a non-accredited laboratory or provider
- When creating cell stocks for storage
For more information on the prevalence and impact of cell misidentification see the following references: American Type Culture Collection Standards Development Organization Workgroup ASN-0002. (2010). Cell line misidentification: the beginning of the end. Nature Reviews, Cancer. 10 (subscription required) Capes-Davis, A et al. (2010). Check your cultures! A list of cross-contaminated or misidentified cell lines. International Journal of Cancer. 127, 1–8
NorthGene’s Cell Line Authentication Service
- DNA Analysis using Promega® Corporation’s PowerPlex Fusion system, containing 22 STR loci plus two gender defining markers.
- Completely confidential, with reports emailed within 3-5 business days (batches larger than 100 samples may take longer).
- Simple sample collection process using
- Sample Collection Cards onto which cells are spotted.
- Prices start from £95 per sample, however, discounts will be applied to larger batches of samples.
- Electropherograms provided as standard.
- Reference profiling against public databases where required & full result interpretation.
NorthGene’s Cell Line Authentication service includes DNA extraction of cell cultures spotted onto our bespoke sample collection kits. Please note, we are also able to work with frozen cell pellets at a minimum concentration of 2 x 105 cells.
If preferred, NorthGene are able to work with pre-extracted DNA samples of a minimum concentration of 10ng/µl in a total volume of 20µl. DNA samples must be free of any PCR inhibitors such as EDTA, proteins, polysaccharides or DMSO.
If frozen cell pellets or DNA eluates are to be sent in place of using NorthGene’s standard sample collection kits, cell samples must be clearly labelled and transported frozen, on dry ice. Please ensure samples arrive during office hours and not during weekends or public holidays. Samples can be returned where requested, however, shipment charges will apply.
Detailed technical information
NorthGene offers analysis of 24 polymorphic STRs which allows cross identification of cell lines of HUMAN ORIGIN, with an extremely high power of discrimination. The loci which will be tested include the following: TH01, TPOX, vWA, Amelogenin (for gender discrimination), CSF1PO, D16S539, D7S820, D13S317 and D5S818. These are the nine markers as outlined within ASN-0002-2011.
By analysing these markers, each sample can be matched and verified with a high degree of precision. The allelic data from samples can be compared against each other, a known reference or verified against cell line databases.
Any sample(s) which require repeat testing will be communicated to the sender as soon as possible, to prevent delay. In a small number of instances, it may not be possible to complete the analysis, most often due to poor DNA quality. All unsuccessful samples are retested once more. Charges for all tests will still apply where it is not possible to issue a result.