Frequently Asked Questions

The decision to have a paternity test should not be taken lightly and you may have lots of questions. We urge you to consider all of the people involved and to decide whether this is the best course of action, particularly for any children in question.

Here’s a selection of the most frequently asked questions about DNA testing.

Do you offer Peace of Mind testing?
Yes but our peace of mind reports (results) cannot be used for any legal reason such as changing a birth certificate.
What is DNA Paternity Testing?

A DNA paternity test looks into the likelihood of a child inheriting parts of their DNA from their mother and part from their father. Each of us will receive half of our DNA from each parent. Think of DNA as the building blocks of life – If the mother has a red block, and the possible father has blue, you would expect the child to have either red, blue or purple. If the child has a green block, the possible father cannot be the biological father.

How does DNA testing work?
It works by detecting certain parts, or ‘markers’ in the DNA molecule that are known to vary greatly between random unrelated people. Our tests compare the DNA at a number of these markers to determine if people are related. This process is called Short Tandem Repeat (STR) profiling. STR profiling is a very sensitive DNA testing procedure which was originally developed for forensic analysis. DNA is extracted from the sample and a special enzyme is used to copy the genetic code at the relevant regions in the DNA. An STR profile is the result of several separate DNA tests.
How long will the test take?

We produce our standard reports within 2-3 working days from when we receive all of the samples in our laboratory. Should you require a faster turnaround time please call our Customer Service Team on 0191 233 1414 to enquire.

It is important to note:

We send out our testing kits the same day if they are ordered on a working day before 3pm and the following working day if they are ordered after 3pm.  How long they take to be delivered is dependent upon where you live (UK or overseas) and the delivery method you select when ordering.

We cannot start the testing process until all samples and accompanying documentation are received from every person taking part in the test.

Our turnaround time once all samples are received is 2-3 working days dependent upon the service selected.

Our working days are Monday – Friday excluding UK (England and Wales) Bank holidays.


Is the DNA test accurate and can it be wrong?

NorthGene™ test the samples with all of the information we have been provided with. When you receive your report, your result will either come back with a conclusive result or will be deemed as inconclusive. For Paternity Testing, a positive result is with a 99.99% probability of paternity. A 0.00% result means that the person providing the sample has been excluded of being the father of the child.

For further details please contact our Customer Services Team on 0191 2331414.

Is the service confidential?
Yes, under the requirements of UK Data Protection laws, the service and results are confidential. All adult parties who have submitted a sample for analysis will receive a copy of the report. Results are not passed on to any third parties unless you request us to do so. In order to further protect confidentiality we do not give out results of tests over the telephone.
How are the DNA samples taken?

For a Peace of Mind test you can take the samples yourself in your own home. We do suggest that all parties are present to witness the samples being taken. If you require a legal test then you will need to make an appointment with us to arrange for an approved sample collector to take your sample either in your home or at your solicitors. At that appointment a mouth swab will be rubbed gently and painlessly on the inside of your mouth to collect a sample of cheek cells. You will also need to complete a consent form (please remember to take two passport style photographs of each person being tested to the appointment) and these and the sample will then sent to NorthGene™ by the sample collector.

Sampling Procedure


NorthGene™ Sampling Procedure Icon 1Complete all sections of the Sample Consent Form then date and sign where indicated.



NorthGene™ Sampling Procedure Icon 2For each person being tested fill out all of the details on a Sample Collection Envelope (in BLOCK CAPITALS).



NorthGene™ Sampling Procedure Icon 3To take a DNA sample, open one of the packets containing two swabs and take out a single swab.



NorthGene™ Sampling Procedure Icon 4Rub and rotate the swab firmly against the inside of the persons cheek for 20 seconds, making sure to collect the cells and not just the saliva.



NorthGene™ Sampling Procedure Icon 5Put the first swab back into the packet then take out the second swab. Repeat step 4 then put the second swab back into the packet with the first swab.



NorthGene™ Sampling Procedure Icon 6Put the swab packet into the labelled Sample Collection Envelope for the person being tested and seal securely.



NorthGene™ Sampling Procedure Icon 7For each person being tested, repeat steps 3 to 6 (remember we need two swab samples for each person).



NorthGene™ Sampling Procedure Icon 8Put the Form and all the sealed Sample Collection Envelopes in the prepaid / pre-addressed tamper proof bag and return to NorthGene.

How are the results analysed?
When carrying out a paternity test the DNA of the mother, the child and the possible father are compared using the latest DNA analysis technology. A child inherits half their DNA from each parent and therefore every genetic marker in the child’s DNA should be present in either the mother or the father. Our laboratory team compare the child’s DNA to the mother initially and remove the DNA that she has passed onto the child. Therefore what remains at this stage could only have come from the child’s biological father and if this matches our tested male we then calculate the probability of paternity. We can also test without using the mother’s DNA when necessary.
Are the tests acceptable evidence in a court of law?

Yes, NorthGene™ has been accredited by the Ministry of Justice as a body that may carry out parentage tests directed by the civil courts in England and Wales under section 20 of the Family Law Reform Act 1969.

NorthGene™ is committed to providing an exceptional high-quality service throughout our testing portfolio and our ISO and Ministry of Justice accreditations are testament to this. A strict chain of custody is followed throughout the sample taking and testing process to ensure accurate results at all times.

Will the results be accepted by the UK Home Office?

NorthGene™ has been accredited by the Ministry of Justice as a body that may carry out parentage tests directed by the civil courts in England and Wales under section 20 of the Family Law Reform Act 1969. This is a requirement of anyone carrying out a test for the UK Home Office. We cannot however guarantee any acceptance of visa or passport applications.

How do I confirm who is being tested?

Two passport sized photographs and the signatures of each person being tested must be presented at the sampling appointment. These can be used to confirm the identity of the person(s) being tested and are sent with the samples to NorthGene™. 

From what age can a child be tested?

The use of mouth swabs means that testing can be performed on a child of any age after birth.

Can I have the test before the baby is born?

No, NorthGene™ does not offer pre-natal testing.

Can you take a sample from my child without the mother being informed?

Only if the person commissioning the sample has parental responsibility for the child, however, children can sign themselves if they are over the age of 16, otherwise the mother must give consent for the child to give a sample. The other exception is if the test is ordered by the Courts.

Can I take a DNA sample from someone and run a DNA test without them knowing?

No. Every adult involved in the DNA testing process must give their consent. “It may be a criminal offence under section 45 of the Human Tissue Act 2004 to carry out testing on a sample taken from someone without their knowledge or consent. This offence carries a penalty of up to three years imprisonment or a fine or both.”

What about Quality Control and Standards?

NorthGene™ laboratories are accredited to ISO 17025 and we are accredited by the Ministry of Justice as a body that may carry out parentage tests (otherwise called DNA Testing or Paternity Testing) as directed by the civil courts in England and Wales under section 20 of the Family Law Reform Act 1969 and we also adhere to the Human Genetics Commissions “Common Framework of Principles on DNA testing”.

Can other kinds of relationships be tested?

In certain circumstances it may be possible to assess more complex relationships such as avuncular or grandparentage testing. For more information please contact our Customer Services Team on 0191 233 1414.

How can I register for the test?

You can register for your Paternity Test online here. If you would prefer to register by phone or email please contact our Customer Services Team on 0191 233 1414 or email to start the process.

Will my DNA sample be safe?

All samples are sent to our laboratories in tamper-evident packaging, if any tampering is evident the samples will be rejected. Once testing is complete and you have received the test results, your DNA sample is stored securely for 6 months after which time it is destroyed. Please let us know if you require the sample to be destroyed immediately after use.

Is help available after I get my results?

If you have any questions about the results themselves please get in touch with a member of our Customer Service Team on 0191 233 1414 who will be happy to try and help where possible.